To mark the commencement of the Centenary of ANZAC commemorations on August 4, Member for Baulkham Hills David Elliott has welcomed the opening of the ballot for the
NSW Government’s 2015 Gallipoli School Tour.
“This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for high school aged students in years 10, 11 and 12 to travel to Gallipoli to be part of the Centenary ANZAC Day Service,” Mr Elliott said.
“I encourage all high schools in Baulkham Hills to be part of the ballot that will draw 25 schools or school groups which will then be eligible to nominate four students and one supervising teacher for the tour of Turkey.
“Expressions of Interest (EOI) to enter the ballot are open until 27 August and can be
submitted on the NSW Centenary of ANZAC website.
“Schools can apply individually or in groups of up to four schools. This will enable all schools, regardless of their size or their location, the opportunity to take part,” Mr Elliott said.
Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Victor Dominello, who announced the process on 30 July, said the ballot had been designed to ensure fair representation from government and non-government school as well as from metropolitan and regional areas.
“Schools that are drawn in the ballot will conduct a local selection process, with students enrolled in years 10, 11 and 12 be invited to submit a written or visual piece of work on a theme or topic related to the Centenary of ANZAC,” Mr Dominello said.
“Shortlisted students will then be asked to present their work to a panel of school and community representatives and will be assessed on their suitability to represent NSW on the tour.
“Successful schools will be announced in early September. The names of the students and
supervising teachers participating in the tour will be announced in December,” Mr Dominello said.
Expressions of Interest can be submitted online through the NSW Centenary of ANZAC website at www.veterans.nsw.gov.au/centenary/gallipoli-2015-school-tour/.