NSW Police will be out in force across NSW as part of Operation Saturation which is aimed at tackling the recent spike in the NSW road toll.
Baulkham Hills State Liberal MP David Elliott is urging the community to play its part to prevent more fatalities on NSW roads.
“With 229 people killed on our roads so far this year, which is 25 more than the same time last year, the NSW Government and the NSW Police Force are pleading with road users to be more cautious,” Mr Elliott said.
“Too many lives have been lost because of dangerous behaviour such as speeding, drinking driving, not wearing seatbelts and talking on mobile phones.
“We are seeing both drivers and pedestrians being killed across NSW in accidents that could easily be avoided.
“Operation Saturation is designed to make road users sit up and take not of their behaviour and be more cautious on the road.
“The current statistics are concerning and are showing an upward trend. An average of 15 lives have been lost ever fortnight on our roads since the end of April.
“I am pleading with my local community to slow down, obey the road rules and look out for others.
“We are seeing an over representation in fatalities in Western Sydney and regional NSW.
“Police will be out in force until the end of September to target some of the biggest killers on our roads in areas where serious accidents are happening,” Mr Elliott said.
Operation Saturation – fully funded by the Community Road Safety Fund, which redirects speed camera fines back into the community to make our roads safer – will begin at midnight tonight (Wednesday 26 August 2015) and run until September 28.
Since May, the NSW road toll has spiked, with an increase in pedestrians, passengers and older road users killed compared to the same time last year.