Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian today announced the North West Rail Link has passed another important milestone, with the skytrain and surface construction works contract reaching the next stage.
“Work is pushing ahead on the North West Rail Link and we are really enthused by the strong interest from local and international companies wanting to be part of this massive project that will benefit the entire state,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“We are on track to have tunnel boring machines in the ground next year.”
Three groups, made up of 33 companies, have been shortlisted for the Surface and Viaduct Civil (SVC) Works contract, which includes building the 4km skytrain between Bella Vista and Rouse Hill. They are:
- Impregilo Salini Joint Venture – Impregilo SpA, Salini Australia Pty Ltd.
- Leighton Rizzani De Eccher Joint Venture – Leighton Contractors Pty Ltd, Rizzani De Eccher Australia Pty Ltd
- Abigroup Contractors Pty Ltd
“This is an important step in delivering the North West Rail Link and means the Government will soon officially call for tenders from these groups to build the skytrain and other surface works like bridges, embankments, railway cuttings and other earthworks,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“Like the tunnelling contract, the SVC contract is fully-funded by the NSW Government. The O’Farrell Government is getting on with the job of building this new rail infrastructure for the people of the North West.”
The SVC contract is expected to be awarded at the end of this year and is one of three major contracts to deliver the North West Rail Link. The other two are:
- Tunnels and Station Civil (TSC) Works contract to build the twin 15km tunnels and underground station excavation – this contract is currently out to tender and is expected to be awarded around mid-2013;
- Operations, Trains and Systems (OTS) contract to deliver the new-generation single deck trains, install tracks and signalling and operate the North West Rail Link – this multi-billion-dollar contract is also out to market and will be a Public Private Partnership, subject to value for money, to be awarded in 2014.