NSW Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance today announced 20 people will get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to witness a Sydney Metro Northwest tunnel boring machine in action, breaking-through into the $8.3 billion project’s Castle Hill construction site.
Mr Constance said competition winners will watch Florence, the second of the four tunnel boring machines, break through a wall of solid Sydney Sandstone when she arrives at the Castle Hill construction site early next month.
“Sydney Metro Northwest is setting a cracking pace and this is now the community’s chance to witness history in the making,” Mr Constance said.
“Florence is on her way and her grand entry – like all of her sisters’ – promises to be spectacular.
“The winners will be in the thick of the action, 25 metres below the surface and right in front of this mega machine as she arrives at one of the eight new metro stations on Australia’s biggest public transport project.”
People can enter the competition via the Sydney Metro Northwest website: www.sydneymetro.info/northwest.
Entries close at 5pm on Monday 28 September.
After launching at Bella Vista in October last year, TBM2 Florence is expected to arrive at Castle Hill on October 2.
The 6.5km journey so far has seen Florence excavate more than 600,000 tonnes of crushed rock. She has 2.5km of tunnelling left when she leaves Castle Hill for Cherrybrook later this year.
More than 75 per cent of the 30km tunnelling task on Sydney Metro Northwest is now complete, with TBM3 Isabelle finishing tunnelling in Epping last week.